Weather and Safety Information
During inclement weather, students and employees must use their best judgment as to whether they feel comfortable traveling on roadways. The College asks that employees notify their supervisor and students notify their instructors of a planned absence. Faculty should communicate any changes to their students. Students are encouraged to check their email and any notifications that may be posted in myOFTC Dashboard.
The safety of all students and employees is of major concern when deciding if OFTC must be closed or its opening delayed because of weather conditions. The decision to close the College or to delay its opening will be made as early as possible.
Important Things to Remember
- Because local radio and television stations allow only standard messages that may sometimes be confusing or possibly incorrect, please check OFTC’s website first to confirm plans for all College locations.
- Because inclement weather can range in severity within a few miles, students should use good judgment in making decisions about traveling on roads in the area they live.
- It is also possible, for example, that classes at the Dublin Campus may be held while the Sandersville Campus is closed or vice versa.
- Closings of other public and private schools in OFTC’s service area does not mean that OFTC will be closed.
- If no announcement is made, you may assume that OFTC will operate on a normal schedule. Weather conditions sometimes worsen during the day after classes have begun. If early dismissal is necessary, the announcement will be made at the College through email/text alerts, online, as well as through local media.
- If OFTC has a delayed opening due to inclement weather or other emergency, students should report to the class/lab/clinic they would normally be in at the announced opening time.
- Generally, faculty members establish guidelines on their syllabi for the cancellation of classes and how work will be made up. Please check with your instructor to determine their plans for missed classes due to inclement weather.
OFTC offers an emergency messaging alert system for students, faculty, and staff as part of its comprehensive emergency preparedness plan to quickly notify students, faculty and staff of campus emergencies or campus closures via SMS text message, e-mail, voice message or any combination of the three. Students are automatically enrolled based on their information provided during enrollment.
Information about OFTC closings will also be announced on local radio and TV stations, plus online at: